Hi everyone, apologies for the delay but I’ve had a couple of days annual leave so I’ve been out of the house. Another great meeting on Wednesday. We had six members attending with two newcomers – welcome to Jammill and Hakim! Hakim is starting a Spec Fic group over in Liverpool if anyone’s interested. Drop him an email at email@example.com.
Quick roundup of Wednesday’s submissions:
- Craig presented a short story about a young man and his relationship with his father who is suffering from Alzheimer’s. There was mincemeat and a ghost. Lots of feedback about the use of point of view.
- John presented a short story featuring an argument between a man and a woman. He awoke to find himself locked outside their conjugal abode – bit of a problem when it’s a craft in space. There was much feedback, including a discussion about some good old Newtonian physics.
- Dave presented a short story about a character in a series of computer games. We all logged on for some PvP and pwned each other. Then we discussed formatting, the use of multiple letters and the ending.
- Jammill presented a Spec Fic screenplay with a sprinkling of police procedure. This is the first time we’ve looked at a screenplay rather than straight prose and it prompted much debate, as well as an honest acknowledgement from most members (except for Dave) of a lack of experience with the form. Plenty of discussion (and education) on screenplay formatting and a little chat about police procedure.
- Guy presented the second chapter of his Night Work novel. There was a little hetero uncertainty when it came to responding in a politically correct way to the relationship presented in the scene. We also talked about narrator voice and dialogue.
- Hakim presented a short story with the tree Yggdrasil, a crystal sword and a duck. There was also some extremely well hidden object-orientated programming. We iterated our way through our responses and learnt a new word: monad.
Next meeting: Wednesday 12th January 7pm start as usual. I’m not sure whether I’ll be able to make this one but I’ll still send out reminders and so on. I’ll email nearer the time when I know for sure (birthday the following day).
Have a very merry Christmas, Winter Solstice, Hanukkah, Day of the Return of the Wandering Goddess, Yule and whatever else you might be celebrating.