Another great meeting with six stories submitted and critiqued.
I have to dash off to work for a training course (boo-hiss) so the dry facts are as follows:
- Rob presented a chapter from a novel he is writing which describes a torture scene. There was a detailed discussion on the use of third person point of view and we also looked at the characters in the scene.
- Ben presented a very short story called Deep Matter as well as a chapter from his novel All Creatures Great With Chips. We discussed the dialogue used in All Creatures as well as naming and whether the theme of the Acquirer might have been used before. There was one paragraph which knocked everyone’s socks off.
- Dave presented the first half of a short story called Architecture. We chatted about info-dumping and dialogue. I think we’re all intrigued that Dave doesn’t know how it’s going to end yet.
- Guy presented a story called Night Work. We discussed how this gritty story had been cut down from a much longer length. The were-elephant works surprisingly well.
- Craig presented a very short story called The Cake is a Lie. The use of second person certainly stirred up quite a debate. See: Marmite.
- John presented a chapter from a longer piece of work (possibly a novella?) called Packages. We discussed character naming, adjectives and metaphors. There might be some sneaky dialogue info-dumping but everyone loved the characters, especially their clothing habits.
We popped along to a bar afterwards and carried on with the chat over beer and grapefruit juice (well, I was on the juice). Great evening, thanks, and see you at the next one!
Next meeting is Wednesday 8th December.